RIGOROUS CORE ACADEMICS
Courses: Reading, Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Physical Education/Health, and Computer Lab, plus the following:
Envision 2.0 Math Program
- Title I Funds enable all students 2nd through 5th grade to have access to laptops and Math intervention through Pearson’s Envision Math 2.0 program these programs help students fine-tune their math skills.
Journey’s Common Core Reading Program
- At Southern Avenue we teach our students to think deeply and to use logic to organize their thoughts and solve problems. The Journeys Common Core Reading program teaches students not only how to read, but also how to cite evidence and support their answers with reasons and evidence.
Each class it equipped with the following technology:
- Clickers/ SMART Response Systems
CLASSROOM LIBRARIES, ART CENTERS & LEARNING CENTERS.
To ensure that our students develop critical computer skills to ensure their college and career readiness, we ensure that all students, Kindergarten through 5th grade, have access to laptops and keyboarding classes in our computer labs and in each classroom.
“We are about closing the digital divide for all students regardless of their socioeconomic status.”
— Mrs. Elise R. Evans, Founder & Executive Administrator
Our students develop a deep love for reading by visiting our “State of the Art”, $250,000 J.R. Pitt- Hyde School and Community Library weekly.
Scholars at Southern Avenue Charter School grades 2-5 take Achievement Network Assessments to ensure that they are mastering Common Core Academic Standards.
- This National Program helps assure students’ academic success endorsed by Gates Foundation.
SPANISH AND MUSIC CLASSES
- In an effort to diversify our students’ communications skills, our students are required to learn Spanish. Mrs. Incio, our campus Spanish Teacher, helps students to learn Spanish through rigorous written and oral lessons.
5TH GRADE ACADEMY
- This program makes the transition from Elementary School to Middle School seamless. All 5th grade students will receive a laptop to take home each day Monday – Thursday to assist with homework and assignments. Our students take courses to learn how to use Google Drive, Google Docs, and Google Mail.
5th Grade students at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama.